What is a High Performing Team ?
- Is it a team which exceeds all goals say by 20% ? Sets a benchmark for others to follow ?
- Is it a team who is highly engaged and comes up with innovative ways to exceed the goals as well as designs sustainable solutions ?
- Is it a team where team members help each other out irrespective of their specific roles to meet the objectives laid out ?
- All of the above or none of the above?
This sounds like an intro to Team Building Gyaan – doesn’t it ?
I don’t claim to be an expert so its best that I stick to only questions this time and let you think and reflect – there are no right or wrong answers as you know. I hope it triggers some thoughts and you will be able to find your own path.
Three broad elements I think which come to my mind first to build a High Performing Team from a Leader’s perspective. Only suggestion – don’t move to the next question till you give it a thought…
1st Element – Environment :
- Do you think your job is to provide solutions and if you don’t, will you lose the significance of your position?
- Do you allow your team members to make mistakes and fail?
- Do you encourage learning ? When was the last time you gifted a good book , shared an article /video with your team which will help them to grow ? Your job does not end with sharing – have you ever gone back to them and got to understand what they thought about the book, article or video and understand their perspective ?
- Do you focus on catching your team members when they are doing something “right” ? or is usually catch them when they have done something “wrong”?
- Physical aspects are important too : Does your team have all the tools , machines , infrastructure necessary to perform their job well ?
2nd Element – Trust
- Does your team trust you ? Tricky question to answer. If you think you have the answer, great. If not, one question that may be help you – when was the last time you discussed your own weakness with your team or when was the last time you did something for them without expecting any return? I mean Absolutely – no return.
- Do you consider yourself as the leader of the organization or the leader of your team? They are not, should not and cannot be the same.
3rd Element – Engagement
- Do you focus on developing your team member’s strength or spend a lot of time fixing their weaknesses? Is developing your team even on your agenda ? I would not blame you if it isn’t because frankly , it is not in your KRA’s .(in most cases)
- Does your team realize the significance of the work they do in the larger context? In short, how do they perceie their job – do they think they are laying bricks or building a mansion ?
High Performing Team is a result , its an output . It’s a journey that few leaders take , only those who want the team to succeed even after they have gone.
Can I request for something specific this week ? Go ahead and do one thing for your team members without expecting anything in return – buy them their favourite book , catch them when they are doing something right – or any aspect that your think is worthwhile from the article !
Let the magic unfold !
Happy Exploring !